Google Play Services Won’t Update
Is Google Play Services trying to update and just sitting there doing nothing? Or do you you keep getting a notification saying “requires an update for Google Play Services” that just won’t go away? Then this is what you need to do – read on.
Solution: Force an update of Google Play Services to the latest version.
- Make sure you are connected to the internet (WiFi or data).
- Open this page on your Android device – short URL to type: http://goo.gl/3gLQac
- On your device click this link and when prompted choose to open in the Google Play Store app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.
- NOTE: If you don’t get the option to open in the Google Play Store app then see the second guide below “Reseting Your Default Apps”.
- You should now be in the Google Play store and it will be showing the Google Play Services app page. The green install button will be showing “Installed”, click it anyway to force a re-install.
- Restart your phone as normal (hold down the power button for 2 seconds and select “Power off and restart”).
- When your device starts again you should see in notifications that Google Play Services re-installed along with any stuck apps that were meant to install before.
Resetting Your Default Apps
If you are following the guide above and in step 3 the link doesn’t open in Google Play Store app, then you already have your browser set to open links in another app, we need to change this setting so you can open in Google Play Store app. Follow these steps:
- Go into settings.
- In your General tab locate and open Apps (see image).
- Now open the menu in the top right corner and select “reset app preferences”.